Lesson 2: Make
- Step 1Presentation
- Step 2Your Challenge
- Step 3Journey Part 1
- Step 4Journey Part 2
- Step 5Journey Part 3
- Step 6Journey Part 4
- Step 7Diagram
- Step 8Exit Ticket Questions
Travel through the rock cycle as a crayon in Crayon Valley in order to model each phase of the rock cycle. At the conclusion of their journey, students will create an annotated diagram that depicts each type of rock and how each type of rock transforms throughout the cycle.
- MS-ESS1-4: Construct a scientific explanation based on evidence from rock strata for how the geologic time scale is used to organize Earth’s 4.6-billion-year-old history.
- MS-ESS2-1: Develop a model to describe the cycling of Earth's materials and the flow of energy that drives this process.
- 4-ESS1-1: Identify evidence from patterns in rock formations and fossils in rock layers to support an explanation for changes in a landscape over time.
- 4-ESS2-1: Make observations and/or measurements to provide evidence of the effects of weathering or the rate of erosion by water, ice, wind, or vegetation.