Lesson 3: Engineer
- Step 1Presentation
- Step 2The Challenge
- Step 3Let's Review
- Step 4Design
- Step 5Your Technical Sketch
In The Engineer, students will:
Choose a famous monument to protect from weathering and erosion and engineer a solution to protect, prevent or mitigate the effects of weathering and erosion on a monument.
- MS-ESS1-4: Construct a scientific explanation based on evidence from rock strata for how the geologic time scale is used to organize Earth’s 4.6-billion-year-old history.
- MS-ESS2-1: Develop a model to describe the cycling of Earth's materials and the flow of energy that drives this process.
- 4-ESS1-1: Identify evidence from patterns in rock formations and fossils in rock layers to support an explanation for changes in a landscape over time.
- 4-ESS2-1: Make observations and/or measurements to provide evidence of the effects of weathering or the rate of erosion by water, ice, wind, or vegetation.
Time Required: 150 minutes