Lesson 2: Make
- Step 1Presentation
- Step 2Your Briefing
- Step 3Cell Exploration
- Step 4See For Yourself
- Step 5Living or Nonliving?
- Step 6Final Report
- Step 7Exit Ticket Questions
Students will determine whether a variety of mystery specimens are from living or non-living organisms. To do so, they will:
1. Explore and identify cell parts and their functions using an interactive website, and make connections with a real-world analogy.
2. Compare and contrast animal and plant cells under a microscope to analyze and compare cell structure.
3. Draw conclusions about the mystery specimens: are they living or nonliving?
Conduct an investigation to provide evidence that living things are made of cells; either one cell or many different numbers and types of cells (MS-LS1-1).
Develop and use a model to describe the function of a cell as a whole and ways parts of cells contribute to the function (MS-LS1-2).